Sunday, November 21, 2010

Embracing Awkward

As I wrote previously, I took a risk this past summer and started an online certificate program in sustainability studies with the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth.
(Yup- that's a mouthful.)
At first, the online learning process was very challenging and I felt the way I used to feel in chemistry class, dazed and confused. Inboxes, links, assignments, log postings, and discussion boards swirled around in my brain like Dorothy's house in the cyclone scene with no real pattern or organization. I started the course by putting the wrong assignments in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Soon, however, I got it.
Eventually, I even completed assignments ahead of time....assignments on eradicating world hunger, renewable energy sources, climate change, and land degradation.
A few weeks ago the professor commented that I was going above and beyond.
(Doesn't really matter how old you are- it's satisfying to have a teacher pay you a compliment- isn't it?)
I am one paper and one small part of a group assignment away from finishing the first course.
Trying new things.
Embracing the awkward in life.
Finishing.
Makes me feel "not so old" and frankly,
Makes My Monday too.
Now onward-
post signature
Visit CHERYL because she is so cute and she is Making Mondays all over the place.

4 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Well done. My daughter, Laura, worked on her Masters degree through the University of Dayton as a distance student. I got my BS through the Women's External Degree (WED) program in 1994. I understand awkward. But eventually, like you said, you can overcome it! Good for you!! Cathy

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Celebrating your achievement for you! Well done!

Terra said...

What a wonderful feeling!

Cheryl Lage said...

Above and beyond! You are entirely and always an above and beyond person and I love you for it!

You Make My Monday, you overachiever, you! :)

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving, Sweet Laura. :)